Image by tamara_smith_
- 4 1/2 cups rhubarb stalks cut into 1-inch pieces (Trim outside stringy layer of large rhubarb stalks; make sure to trim away any and discard of the leaves which are poisonous; trim ends.)
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Yield: serves 6
1 ) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) In a bowl, mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, tapioca, and orange zest. Let sit to macerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
3) In a medium bowl, combine 2 Tablespoons of sugar, the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter in with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk and egg until just moistened.
4) Pour fruit into a 2-quart casserole dish. Drop the batter on the fruit.
5) Bake in a 350°F oven for 35 minutes until cobbler crust is golden brown.
6) Serve with whipped cream and enjoy!