Image by CarrieA
STRAWBERRY RHUBARB COBBLER
Oven time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-1/2 cups rhubarb, diced very small (see ALANNA’s TIPS)
- 2-1/2 cups ripe strawberries, hulled, cut in pieces if large
- 1 cup flour, fluffed to aerate before measuring
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal (not stone-ground)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- Zest of a lemon, optional
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a large bowl, toss sugar, flour, cinnamon and rhubarb. Gently stir in strawberries and transfer to a glass deep-dish pie pan.
In the same bowl, combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. With your fingers, rub in butter until a coarse meal forms. (If making ahead, stop here and refrigerate.) With a fork, mix in buttermilk just to moisten. Spoon topping over fruit.
Bake for 25 minutes or until topping is golden and fruit is bubbly. Serve immediately with a splash of cream or a scoop of ice cream.