Image by Smaku
What do you do when you have left over fruit laying around? You can eat it, throw it away, give it to your dog, or make this really simple dessert that will give your fruit a whole new exciting taste!
The recipe is easy, quick to prepare, and tastes like it took hours to make. Now go try some yourself.
From a blueberry crisp recipe from allrecipe.com
Serves 4 generously, or 8 1”x4” pieces.
2 cups blueberries, strawberries, pears, apples, or any other fruit
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup self-rising flour / 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 tsp each of baking soda and baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg/cinnamon
1/2 cup boiling water
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2) Place the fruit into an 8×8 inch square baking dish. Halve strawberries, cut pear or apples into bite size pieces, deseed cherries, etc. (1)
3) In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and 1/4 cup sugar until smooth (2).
4) Stir the flour into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk (3-4).
5) Spoon batter over fruit (5).
6) Mix together the 1/4 cup brown sugar with the cornstarch and nutmeg/cinnamon (make sure there are no clumps) (6). Sprinkle over the top (7).
7) Pour boiling water over the whole thing making sure the sugar and spice mixture is still evenly sprinkled on top (8).
Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven. Cool for at least 10 minutes to set. Serve with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream.
Final product should look a little something like 10, or here.